Support For Male Survivors
There are an estimated 2 million adult male survivors of sexual abuse in the UK, and approximately 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year. Despite these figures, however, male focused services for survivors of rape, sexual violence, abuse or exploitation are significantly less than services just for female survivors. Male survivors are typically not taken as seriously by professionals when they disclose their experience with sexual abuse. There are many myths surrounding male survivors, both as adults and children, but here are the facts:
- How masculine a male is has no effect on whether they are sexually abused/exploited or not.
- Physical sexual arousal does not mean that a male wanted to be abused or that what happened was his fault.
- Sexual violence can come from men who identify as both straight and gay, as it is a result of power and manipulation and not of sexual orientation.
- The sexual orientation of the male survivor is not the cause or the result of sexual abuse.
- Perpetrators can be female.
- Most male survivors will not go on to sexually abuse or exploit others.
At Dorset Rape Crisis Support Centre, the services we offer for women are also available for men, regardless of whether the sexual violence or abuse that occurred is recent or non-recent. Male survivors can access our confidential listening and signposting service through our Telephone Helpline open at dedicated times throughout the week, have specialist face to face counselling at the Centre in Poole or at locations across Dorset, or practical and emotional support from our team of Independent Sexual Violence Advisors.
We also run organized group sessions for male survivors, in order to create a peer support network and encourage the sharing of experiences between men who have been raped or sexually abused.
If you or someone you know is a male survivor of rape, sexual violence, abuse or exploitation, recent or non-recent, then you can access our services by:
- Making contact by email: email@example.com
- Calling our Telephone Helpline: 01202 308855